The mission of Main Street Bucksport, Maine Downtown Center and Main Street America Affiliate
Program, is to build a more vibrant and sustainable downtown by engaging community members, local leaders, and visitors while supporting entrepreneurs, and celebrating downtown assets. We work in partnership with the City of Bucksport, the business community, property owners, and residents to foster economic development, promote historic preservation, and improve the downtown and quality of life in Bucksport.
The organization seeks a part-time Executive Director to help achieve the goals of the organization under the direction of the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director understands the issues confronting downtown businesspeople, property owners, public agencies, and community organizations, and is able to consider the diverse objectives of many stakeholders. The Director is entrepreneurial, well-organized, and functions effectively in an independent environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential and supervisory experience is preferred. This is a part-time position.
The Director’s broad objectives are to:
- Work with the Board of Directors on the implementation of the organization’s 2019 strategic plan, and is responsible for the conduct, execution and documentation of the Main Street program and any associated committees.
- Act as the principal on-site staff person and “face of the organization,” responsible for coordinating all program activities and volunteers, and broadly representing the organization to the public.
- Help guide the organization as its objectives evolve.
Full Range of Duties to be Performed
The Director is responsible for planning and execution of the following tasks:
- Create, document, and implement annual fundraising strategies with an emphasis on grants and, to a lesser extent, corporate support, individual fundraising, and events as appropriate.
- Help build strong, collaborative and productive relationships with stakeholders, including municipal representatives to identify needs that align with the organization’s mission where the organization can be of service. Other key relationships include the businesses , groups, volunteers and individuals directly and indirectly involved in downtown Bucksport.
- Proactively lead the recruitment and management of community volunteers.
- Support downtown economic development strategies, developed by the Town of Bucksport’s Economic Development department, with special attention to efforts to market the town in accordance with municipal needs.
- Oversee the coordination and execution of events (as advisable by the state CDC) such as festivals, fundraising events, or business promotions, collaborating with local partners as appropriate. This includes managing volunteers, media outreach, administrative duties, and ensuring MSB events are mission-driven.
- Manage all administrative aspects of the Main Street program, including but not limited to, purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, managing grant reporting, and maintaining regular communication with the Board and supervising employees, interns, or consultants.
- Maintain organizational record and reports and operating procedures for routine tasks and recurring events.
- Work with the Maine Downtown Center as required or needed including: attending training for staff and volunteers, attending statewide meetings with peer organizations, submitting annual reporting, completing annual membership paperwork, Letter of Agreement, and dues, and using the Maine Downtown Center as a resource for MSB as needed.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Education Required
A minimum of two (2) years management or supervisory experience, preferably in a public or non-profit organization is desired for this position.
A BS or BA degree and/or experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Commercial district management, Economics, Finance
- Grants administration
- Public Relations, Marketing, Retail
- Planning, Business Administration, Public Administration, Small Business Development
- Volunteer or Non-profit Administration
- Community Development
Schedule & Compensation: This is a part time position with a flexible, mostly self-determined schedule. The Executive Director is expected to maintain a work schedule that averages 20 hours per week over the course of a year. Salary is $25,000 annually and does not include health insurance. Position is open until filled.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.